Match reports


The Copa del Rey run continues. This Thursday Sevilla FC secured passage to the quarter-finals of the competition against Cádiz CF. Ben Yedder and Correa picked up the goals for the home side, who controlled the game throughout despite conceding a late consolation before the final whistle. The draw for the quarters will be this Friday at 12:30

Today was no day to rest on the laurels and after a 0-2 first-leg win against Cádiz CF, Sevilla FC secured their passage to the quarter-finals of the Copa del Rey with a 2-1 win against the local opponents. Goals from Ben Yedder and Correa either side of half-time put the result beyond doubt and meant Sevilla could control the game comfortably - only conceding chances from lapses in concentration. With a few fresh-legs with respect to the derby, Sevilla's professionalism was clear throughout, though not enough to prevent a late consolation from Álvaro García.  

Whilst Álvaro Cervera selected a team that clearly showed his priorities lie in a promotion push, Vincenzo Montella opted to change only a few pieces of the Sevilla puzzle. His strong line-up allowed Sevilla to take full control in the early minutes. After just three minutes, Ben Yedder had already had two chances - the first a curling 25-yard shot which was well saved, the second a fierce effort that had just too much height to find the back of the net. Possession was dominated by the home side, though Cádiz looked to react on quarter of an hour; a misplaced pass from Geis allowed Barral to have a go, but the striker's effort thankfully struck the bar

Ben Yedder took advantage of a rebound to break the deadlock for Sevilla 

The match entered into a period of half-chances, which saw Traoré strike against the side netting, though Montella's men wasted no time in regaining control of the ball - something which would eventually push them to a deserved opener on half an hour. A cross from Carole was picked up by Correa who shot at Yáñez; the keeper saved but Wissam Ben Yedder was there to pick up the rebound and put Sevilla one step closer to the quarters. Lenglet and Banega had chances before the break but just the one goal would separate the teams when the half-time whistle went.

With no changes for the second-half, Cádiz came out somewhat downtrodden and seemed to have - if subconsciously - given up on their efforts to turn the tie around. Though without the fluidity that the Nervionense's game is still lacking, the Sevillistas continued to dominate and didn't take long to secure a second goal. A well floated corner from Pablo Sarabia was met by a stunning glancing header from Correa, which found the back of the net at Cádiz's unmarked back post. It was the nail in the coffin for the tie, with Cádiz now needing four goals in half an hour to keep their cup run alive. 

Correa killed the tie with an impeccable glancing header

Cervera took the chance to give minutes to ex-Sevillistas Carrillo and Eugeni Valderrama - the latter making his debut for the visitors. Montella meanwhile waited until the 70th minute to make his first change, which would see Banega replaced by Franco Vázquez. A Ben Yedder volley could have seen a third for the home side but Yáñez was equal to the effort. Muriel and Pizarro would also make appearances, coming on for Ben Yedder and N'Zonzi respectively. An isolated attacking play from Cádiz would give the visitors a consolation five minutes from time, with Álvaro García grabbing a goal after coming off from the substitutes' bench. It was far too later for Cádiz, however. 

A win and safe-passage through for a Sevilla side which will find out its quarter-final opponent tomorrow. Before that clash, the side will look to refind winning ways in the league, with Montella's men travelling to face Deportivo Alavés this Sunday at 16:15pm. A first win for the Italian coach in the Ramón Sánchez-Pizjuán tonight, which he will hope becomes the norm after over a year unbeaten before loss on derby day.

Communication Department